Make sure you’re reporting your issue to the right council!

Which Council Does What?

Within the Parish of Checkley we are covered by three different Councils:

Checkley Parish Council

Staffordshire Moorlands District Council

Staffordshire County Council

There is a hierarchy of Councils, all operating very differently, with their own individual budgets and responsibilities.

Below should give you an idea of who deals with which issue and how to report issues to the relevant council.

Checkley Parish Council

Bottom tier of local council

Checkley Parish Council consists of 11 elected members.  These members are elected by you the local electorate.  Parish Councillors do not need any experience in local government to stand and they receive no remuneration or expenses for any of the works they undertake as a Parish Councillor.

You can contact them using the details found HERE

Responsibilities of the Parish Council include:

  • Maintenance of green spaces such as Tean Recreational Ground, Well Meadow Gardens, The Wentlows, Hollington Picnic Area and Checkley Play Area.
  • Maintenance and record keeping for Hollington Road Cemetery (not Christchurch or any other cemetery attached to a church).
  • Maintenance of Old Cemetery on New Road
  • Annual inspection of play equipment on Tean Recreational Ground, The Wentlows and Checkley Play Area.
  • Annual floral displays
  • Annual Christmas displays

The Parish Council also supports with the facilitating of local events.

You can report issues in any of the above areas to the Parish Clerk on or fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page.

Greatwood Hall – although the building is owned by Checkley Parish Council all maintenance, bookings and day to day running is managed by the Greatwood Hall Management Committee

Staffordshire Moorlands District Council

Mid tier of local council

Checkley Parish Council has three representatives at SMDC, their details can be found HERE.

Again these Councillors are elected by the electorate and receive a small remuneration for representing the Ward at district level.

You do not have to be a Parish Councillor to be a District Councillor.

Responsibilities of Staffordshire Moorlands District Council include:

  • Report Dog Fouling
  • Request street cleaning
  • Request new bins – both domestic and public – Find your next bin collection day HERE
  • Remove graffiti
  • Report fly-tipping
  • Report a fallen tree
  • Comment on a planning application – HERE
  • Report food hygiene issues
  • Register a noise complaint – both domestic and commercial
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Anti-social behaviour
  • Littering
  • Maintenance of Christ Church cemetery

You can report issues in any of the above areas to Staffordshire Moorlands District Council HERE.

Staffordshire County Council

Top tier of local council

Checkley Parish Council has one representative at SCC, their details can be found HERE.

Again County Councillors are elected by the electorate and receive a salary for representing the Ward at county level.

You do not have to be a Parish/District Councillor to be a County Councillor.

Responsibilities of Staffordshire County Council include:

Highways Issues

  • Road Damage – potholes, blocked damaged gullies, raised or rocking ironworks, debris/spills on road
  • Road Works – disruption, delays, access, diversion
  • Pavement – kerb damage, cracked broken / surface dressing, rocking slabs or ironworks, bollard/railing damage
  • Street Lighting – exposed wires, faulty (always on/off), leaning post, missing parts, pillar damage
  • Road Signs – damaged, missing, dirty/worn, obstructed, misleading
  • Road Safety – traffic calming, congestion, critical junctions, road layout, road works, road markings, deceased animals, pedestrian crossings, school crossing patrols (not all are employed by the council, please check first), bollards, barriers and railings
  • Weather Related – gritting, grit bins (replace, new, replenish), icy roads, flooded roads, mud on the road

Rights of Way

  • Public Footpaths
  • Bridleways
  • Damages stiles / gates
  • Blockages

Overgrown Hedges, Grass Verges, Ditches and Watercourses

You can report overgrown hedges, road ponding/flooding and overgrown verges to SCC however, in a lot of situations the responsibility to maintain the areas that cause the issue is down to the landowner.  For more information see SCC website.

You can report issues in any of the above areas direct to Staffordshire County Council HERE. Or download their app MYSTAFFS

Staffordshire Police

Please do not report any criminal offences to the Parish Council.  The Parish Council mediums (including social media) are only manned on a part-time basis.  If you see any criminal activity then please report it immediately on 999.

Alternatively you can report directly to the police online HERE or via their Facebook Page.

Other issues you can report to the Police:

  • Anti social behaviour
  • Criminal damage
  • Parked cars – on pavements, double yellows, without a permit
  • Traffic accidents/incidents
  • Violent acts, intimidation, threatening behaviour