Local Plan


When do you need Planning Permission?

You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new
  • make a major change to your building, eg building an extension
  • change the use of your building

To find out if your project will need planning permission, contact your Local Planning Authority – Staffordshire Moorland District Council.

All planning applications are dealt with by Staffordshire Moorland District Council Planning Department and can be viewed and commented on via their website portal.

Checkley Parish Council do not have the authority to grant or refuse planning permissions.


Local Plan


What is the Local Plan?

The Local Plan is a strategic District wide plan which influences how and where the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council will list sites for future development.  It sets out what the District Council would like to achieve in each of the main towns and the rural areas, identifying specific sites for development.

The Local Plan is not the same as the Neighbourhood Plan.  The Neighbourhood Plan feeds into the Local Plan giving local people more influence in what happens in their neighbourhood.  For more information on the Neighbourhood Plan please see our Neighbourhood Plan pages:

What is a Neighbourhood Plan?

Neighbourhood Plan News

How can I get involved in this consultation process?

This depends on where you live. All towns and rural areas have specific sites for future development to meet future needs such as housing and employment. There are also a number of policies within the adopted Core Strategy which help to guide and manage development, appropriate uses in town centres, supply of affordable homes and the gypsy and traveller site allocation.

Where are these sites?

If you would like to view maps of the proposed sites then please go to the SMDC website or click on the below areas:

Upper Tean

Lower Tean



Staffordshire Moorlands District Council will continue to hold consultation drop-in events throughout the district.  If you would like to know where these are and for any other information relating the Local Plan please contact Staffordshire Moorlands District Council – www.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk

Local Plan is now available for examination.

The Council has submitted the Local Plan and other supporting documents to the Secretary of State for independent examination by a planning inspector.

Hard copies of the Local Plan, Sustainability Appraisal and Consultation Statement are also available for inspection.  For more details CLICK HERE.